A high-end country house encircled by natural beauty awaits in the Val d’Orcia: Welcome to Casa Newton. The design-led country house is a stylish home away from home in a scenic and commanding position near Pienza, between Montalcino and Montepulciano.Check availability
- 9 rooms and suites featuring oversized Swiss-designed beds, custom-made and mid-century furniture, complimentary high-speed WiFi and up-to-the minute air conditioning. Filtered drinking water and refillable bottles reduce the use of plastics.
- The annexes were turned into a restaurant, Il Cervo and Casa Piccola, which holds 2 additional suites with private gardens, ideal for families.
- Scenic pool with vintage sun loungers. You can enjoy nibbles and a glass of natural Tuscan wine from the proprietors’ winery, Fabbrica Pienza by the pool.
- One of the highlights of Casa Newton is the signature staircase designed by architect Antonie Bertherat-Kioes.
- The grounds feature a kitchen garden with seasonal vegetables, an antique garden with a fountain, and a bocce court surrounded by rosemary and box hedges.
What's the Story
- Built in 1846 by the Newton family, the rural residence was designed as a home and farmstead at the highest point on the 140-hectare property. An alley of centuries-old cypresses greets guests to the main villa with its trademark red walls. The arched wine cellar now acts as an impactful entrance tunnel with steps leading up to the welcome desk. From unconventional tiled floors to bold green and yellow feature walls, a homely melange of styles is immediately perceived in the lounge and bar. Suggestions for bike tours, tastings at respected local wineries and insider tips are on hand from the hotel’s well-informed maître.
Wine & Dine
- The farm-to-table restaurant Il Cervo serves breakfast lunch, and dinner. All food is organic and sourced, where possible, from their kitchen garden and local businesses.
- Vintage-designed Bar in the main villa, although you are free to enjoy your drink anywhere on the grounds.
- Country Casual.
- Rates start at EUR 400 per night. All bookings include breakfast and a SIP of Fabbrica wine tasting at their winery. This excludes the tourism tax of 1€ per day per person.
- Casa Newton can also be rented as a full-service private home.
Location & Setting
- Casa Newton enjoys the perfect location. Famous for world-class cheeses and founded as a papal retreat in the 1400s, Pienza is a 10-minute drive away, while favorites Montepulciano and Montalcino are both within a 30-kilometer radius.
- Il Fondo, Trequanda.
- La Bandita, Pienza.
- Silene (1 Michelin star) in Pescina.
- Osteria del Leone in Bagno Vignoni.
- A cocktail of the historic wall of Pienza at Idyllium.
Nearby Wineries to Visit
- Casa Newton encourages guests to embrace the Italian concept of dolce far niente, the sweetness of doing nothing, by exploring an alternative side of Tuscany throughout the seasons. From tours and tastings at local wineries to bike rides along the legendary gravel trails of the L’Eroica vintage cycle rally. Discover the farming scene by tasting cheeses in the places where they are confected, while cooking classes with local cooks reveal the secrets of the area’s long-standing traditions. In the autumn, truffle hunting in the adjacent woodland is very popular.
- Visit the gardens of La Foce.
- A wine tasting at Fabbrica Pienza their contemporary winery.
- A bike ride on the mythical white roads that will lead you across unspoiled nature with spectacular views over Pienza.
- Visit the frescoes of Piero della Francesca in Arezzo.
The 84 Rooms Guide to Val d’Orcia
- Read our Guide here.
When to Go
- Season starts mid-March and lasts until early January.
How to Get There
- By Air: You can fly into Florence which is 1 1/2 hours by car, Pisa is about 2 hours, and Perugia is a little over an hour. Rome Fiumicino is further, about 2 1/2 hours. We recommend a rental car at the airport.
- By train: The nearest train station is Chiusi Chianciano Terme.