The warmer summer season is one of our favorite times to visit the Alps. Not only are the hiking trails picturesque but also most mountain lakes are warm enough to swim or rent a boat. Expect crystal clear waters, snowy peaks, and fewer crowds than in the Mediterranean.
Below, we take you through ten of the most beautiful alpine lakes that you should consider putting on your list for summer adventure.
Here is our hit list, starting with the Italian Dolomites:
Lago di Braies (Pragser Wildsee), Dolomites, South Tyrol, Italy
- Where to Stay: At Hotel Petrus, half an hour away.
- How to Get There: Bolzano is the nearest airport, 1 1/2h away. Served by SkyAlps.
Lago di Carezza (Karer See), Dolomites, South Tyrol, Italy
- Where to Stay: At Parhotel Mondschein in Bolzano.
- How to Get There: Bolzano is a 30-minute car drive.
Attersee, Upper Austria, Austria
- Where to Stay: At the iconic Schloss Fuschl at Fuschlsee, the neighboring lake to Attersee.
- How to Get There: Fly into Salzburg, a quick drive from Attersee.
Wörthersee, Carinthia, Austria
- Where to Stay: At Falkensteiner Hotel Velden.
- How to Get There: The nearest airport is Klagenfurt, 20 minutes by car.
Chiemsee, Bavaria, Germany
- Where to Stay: Der Schmiedhof, a 30 minute drive.
- How to get there: Fly into Munich (1-hour drive) or Salzburg (35-minute drive).
Walchensee, Bavaria, Germany
- Where to Stay: Schloss Elmau.
- How to Get There: Fly into Munich, a 1 1/4h drive.
Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee), Switzerland
- Where to Stay: Villa Honegg.
- How to Get There: The nearest airport is Zurich, roughly an hour's drive.
Arnensee, Bernese Alps, Switzerland
- Where to Stay: 84 Club Chalet.
- How to Get There: Fly into Geneva, a 2-hour drive.
Lac d’Annecy, France
- Where to Stay: L’Auberge du Père Bise - Jean Sulpice.
- How to Get There: The nearest airport is Geneva, less than an hour's drive.
Lake Bled, Slovenia
- Where to Stay: Stay at Adora Hotel.
- How to Get There: Ljubljana airport is a 30 min drive, and Klagenfurt in Austria is one hour away.