The Hamptons is still a weekend playground for sun-seeking New Yorkers, but an increasingly international crowd flocks to its beaches and with them, a more discerning eye toward what you might require for the perfect getaway. We sat down with local Ann Palmer, who has been living in Amagansett for many years. She’s a partner in some of the best hospitality spots out East, an active gardener, cook and has taken her dog to every beach from South to Montauk.
Here are her picks for the best new places to stay, favourite beaches, stunning Wineries and where to get the ultimate Lobster Roll. These are the best things to do this summer.
- The Hampton Jitney departs every hour during the season from Manhattan (approx. 3h).
- By car: It's a 2.5-4 hour drive from Midtown Manhattan depending on traffic and depending on your final stop.
- Fly Blade if you're in a hurry, the Uber-like Helicopter app offers one way fares from $ 495.
Andre Balazs Sunset Beach Hotel with only 20 rooms it's the perfect intimate escape. Great terrace restaurant with Mediterranean & French Riviera-style food, try the moules mariniere.
The Chequit just underwent a big renovation, it’s 150 years old and will have several new restaurants to test out this season.
Finding a great stay between Memorial Day and Labour Day is challenging. The hotel options are limited. Check out our recommendations below for the best B&Bs and boutique hotels from Southampton to Montauk.
The Surf Lodge reopened last summer, it’s the spot for live music. Not just any bands, but some of the top acts come through multiple nights a week, all summer long. You’re already late, make reservations for the second half of summer now.
For a more chill but lively beach stay, check out Hero Beach Club - which offers complimentary wellness most days of the week, as does Marram which is more in town, right by beloved deli Joni's montauk For full service, stay at Gurney’s which has a full spa, restaurants, and beachfront games, and is great for kids.
- Duryea’s Montauk a Montauk classic with the most beautiful views and the best seafood.
- The Crow's Nest, offers a daily changing menu, and a hotel with cool cottages. Go for sunset and try the Spring Spaghetti.
- Favourite Beachfront in Montauk is Navy Beach.
- Roberta’s Pizza from Brooklyn opened last summer.
- Scarpetta Beach at Gurney’s for excellent Italian with sunset views.
Where to Eat
Stop at Clam Bar on the way to Montauk for the best fresh seafood (i.e. THE Lobster Roll!). Il Buco Al Mare is the best place to eat now. Coche Comedor for modern Mexican and great margaritas. Wölffer Kitchen serves up wines from the family's winery.
Where to Stay
Sag Harbor is the most authentic town in the Hamptons, very well preserved, featuring great antique stores, galleries, restaurants, and coffee shops.
Where to Eat
- One of the best Italians in the Hamptons is DOPO La Spiaggia
- Another great Italian spot with nice shopping is Tutto Il Giorno
- Ed's Lobster Bar for Lobster rolls & chowders.
- Bell & Anchor
- The American Hotel
Where to Stay
Jack Nicholson in "Something's Gotta Give" Erica's Beach House is located at 576 Meadow Lane, Southampton.
84 Rooms recommends: Our 10 Favourite Restaurants In New York City, and Yolanda Edwards And Matt Hranek’s Insider Guide To Upstate New York.