Sao Lourenço do Barrocal
South of Lisbon towards the Spanish border and stretching out towards the Atlantic, the Alentejo region remains the unsung hero of Portugal. Undeveloped and dotted with cork forests, wildflower meadows, and white-washed villages, it is a rough and ready rural idyll where time seems to stand almost still. The place to stay is São Lourenço do Barrocal, a quietly luxurious farmhouse surrounded by vineyards and olive groves, which sits under the ancient hilltop town of Monsarez.Check availability
- The 780-hectare estate has meadows, vineyards and a winery, centuries-old olive groves, stables, an orchard, and walled gardens.
- Rooms feature TV, air-conditioning, a minibar, Nespresso coffee machine, tea-making facilities, free bottled water, safe and Susanne Kaufmann products.
- Free WiFi throughout, a Susanne Kaufmann spa, a fitness studio, farm shop, concierge and laundry.
Wellness & Spa
- The Susanne Kaufmann Spa offers a wide range of spa treatments and organic treats perfectly tailored to the needs of the face and body, providing you with a sensorial experience and natural care. Susanne Kaufmann's line of cosmetics, all natural, beneficial effective, are also available for purchase on location.
Wine & Dine
- Farm-to-table restaurant brings to your plate the freshest organic produce and local delicacies. The cuisine is deeply rooted in Alentejo's tradition.
- The Menu: They bring to your table authentic local cuisine, made with ingredients fresh from the estate and other familiar producers, infused with Alentejo flavours, pinched with subtle contemporary twists.
- It's a working farm - countryside chic!
- Rates start at EUR. 540 per night.
- There's plenty to do on and offsite here. Guests can make the most of the foodie landscape with foraging, cooking workshops, olive oil, and wine tastings.
- Take one of their guided horse back riding tours and ride to the hilltop castle of Monsaraz to watch the sunset over the big lake.
- Hot air balloon rides: Take off with the break of dawn and let yourself go with the wind and the landscape.
- Boat tours in Lake Alqueva: Navigate the Alqueva on a tour that will introduce you to the ecosystem, including the golden island, where you can bathe.
- Beekeeping: Get dressed up and accompany their beekeeping team on a journey through the estate's honey cycle.
How to Get There
- By plane: Nearest airport is Lisbon. It takes around two hours to reach the hotel by car.