Amongst the most striking peaks in the Alps, the Dolomites in South Tyrol are top contenders with their '3 Zinnen' mountains (otherwise known as 'Three Peaks' or 'Tre Cime di Lavaredo'). In 2009, they became a UNESCO World Heritage site receiving further protection for their beauty and rich climate (wine and agriculture are competitive with Provence). Right in the heart of this mountain paradise, you will find one of Europe’s rare carbon-neutral hotels, generating all of its power and heat. Sustainability at its peak. The property even has its farm at Mühlhof with a herd of Angus cattle. Welcome to the Naturhotel Leitlhof.Check availability
- Enjoy a natural blend of subtle luxury and tradition, of old and new. All rooms feature warm wood, soft materials, and plenty of natural light.
- In every room, there is a hiking backpack for your outdoor adventures.
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the entire hotel.
- The hotel provides trekking or mountain bikes free of charge. E-bikes can be rented at extra cost.
- In winter, they offer ski lockers with boot dryers for your skis, snowboards, and ski boots.
- Lift passes can be purchased directly at our hotel upon request.
- During the school holidays, they offer professional childcare at the hotel.
What's the Story
- The history of the Leitlhof and the Mühlmann family started with the decision to buy it in 1997 and to gradually transform it in line with their vision of sustainable tourism. The family's biggest milestone to date has been the implementation of the Leitl idea of generating its wood-powered energy. Stephan Mühlmann, the junior owner, has been responsible for this project. Since 2015, Leitlhof has been producing its heat and energy, has its water source, and has thus become one of the very few self-sustained hotels in Europe.
- At Leitlhof, it is their mission to protect and preserve nature. As a nature hotel, they strive to protect the unique environment they live in. Their carbon-neutral wood-fired combined heat and power plant has been a major step in this direction.
- The wood-fired combined heat and power plant was installed when the senior owners Robert and Agnes handed over their business to their son Stephan and his wife Evelin. The mission has remained the same: sustainability. Stephan and Robert still go logging together in the Leitlhof forest. The timber is used to produce wood chips for the heating system. The hotel’s farm with sheep and cattle livestock is still operated by the family. The products are used in the hotel restaurant.
- The hotel has its own cattle farm. From the northeast of Scotland to the Dolomites. From the counties of Aberdeenshire and Angus to Leitlhof: Their Angus cattle have found a new home at the Mühlhof farm. They keep our cattle in line with organic livestock production principles to guarantee the best quality. The tender, well-marbled meat is exclusively processed and served at Leitlhof.
Wine & Dine
- Their chef de cuisine Markus Auer will spoil you with culinary delights at the breakfast buffet, their afternoon Marende snack, and a deluxe dinner with five to eight courses.
- With lovingly set tables and a grand view of the Dolomites, their restaurant is the best place to start your day. In summer, breakfast is served on the terrace to make your rendezvous with nature even more intimate. Every evening, the restaurant transforms into an atmospheric place of culinary delight. With creative ideas, Markus Auer and his team adapt and refine traditional dishes, drawing on the Mediterranean influence that is omnipresent in South Tyrol. Their multi-course dinners use mostly regional ingredients. Whenever possible, directly from their farm.
- South Tyrolean & international wines: In their wine cellar you will find treasures from all over the world. The main focus, however, is on regional specialties. Just like for the cuisine, they rely mainly on local producers for their wines and distilled spirits.
Wellness & Spa
- 2000 m² spa & wellness area: Relax in the sauna and steam rooms. Treat yourself to a massage or a spa treatment. Work out at the gym or swimming pool. With the grand view from the spa, the only thing on your mind will be which outdoor adventures to tackle next.
- Beauty: Their cosmetic treatments are based on the organically certified care line by Team Dr. Joseph as well as products with natural active ingredients by Mary Cohr. The relaxation baths and wraps are packed with natural ingredients like hay, Alpine fango, sea salt, and arnica.
- Water world with its outdoor pool, indoor pool, experience showers, and waterfall is the center of our spa and wellness facility. The adjacent sauna area also has a hot tub, a plunge pool, and a cold-water Kneipp area.
- Gym: A cardio workout with state-of-the-art Technogym equipment, cycling training, treadmill running, or weight lifting.
- Mountain active.
- Rates start at EUR. 242 per night. All rooms come with breakfast, dinner, and an afternoon snack.
Location & Setting
- The hotel's home village of San Candido is located amidst the Sexten Dolomites, the Fanes-Sennes-Prags Nature Park with the beautiful Lago die Braies, and the 3 Zinnen Dolomites Nature Park. It is the latter that is the most famous: In fact, the rock formation of the Three Peaks is so special that it has become the symbol of the Dolomites. These unique rock cliffs are only about 20 kilometers from San Candido and the hotel. They are a year-round attraction for climbers, hikers, winter sports enthusiasts, and nature lovers.
- There are shuttles to the town center of San Candido. In winter, they have a ski shuttle to the Haunold and Helm ski areas and back to Leitlhof.
- Hiking: Marked paths, narrow trails, and majestic peaks: Hiking in the Dolomites is a unique experience.
- Mountain biking, road cycling & leisure biking. The area offers a vast network of bicycle paths and trails to be discovered.
- Mountaineering and climbing. A stunning landscape full of beautiful peaks to be climbed and challenging cliffs for vertical conquests.
- Skiing: If you’re looking for amazing ski areas that have not been discovered by the crowds, this is your place!
- Cross-country: 200 kilometers of cross-country trails. The vast trail network in the valley has a great variety of skating and classic cross-country ski tracks.
- And much more, from snowshoe hiking to tobogganing and ski touring.
How to Get There
- Fly into Innsbruck, a 2h car ride away. The smaller airport of Bolzano is now connected to some European cities with SkyAlps and only a 1 1/2h drive to the hotel.
- You’re welcome to use our parking garage free of charge.
- By train: There are numerous direct trains to San Candido. Alternatively, you can change trains in Fortezza. There is a train connection from there to San Candido every 30 minutes.
- Complementary shuttle service: If you arrive by train, they’ll be happy to pick you up at the local station.
- Tesla charging station.