Monemvasia, in the Southeastern Peloponnese region, is one of Greece’s most romantic destinations and offers a truly unique stay at the high-end Kinsterna Hotel. There is a dreamy, magical place hiding in the perfect valley in Southern Greece, among idyllic vineyards, olive groves, and citrus trees, just minutes away from the blue Mediterranean. The Kinsterna Boutique Hotel, once an impressive mansion and estate dating from Ottoman and Venetian times, has been carefully returned to its former glory with an air of luxury.Check availability
- 51 rooms, from Classic and Deluxe Doubles to more spacious Suites and Master Residences. All equipped with Free wifi, Flat-screen TV with Satellite TV & Multimedia center, safe, make-up mirror, hair dryer, bathrobes and slippers, and Deluxe bath amenities.
- 2 pools with a private relaxation area.
- Kinsterna Spa: Hammam (steam bath), whirlpool, treatment rooms. A variety of relaxing massages and revitalizing treatments.
- The mansion’s rooms and suites are captivating in their history and magnificence, while the individual dwellings and two fabulous villas offer privacy and a modern design that perfectly complements the style and atmosphere of the historic manor.
- Every room is different and unique, with an individualized layout, design, styling, and decoration. All the rooms and suites, however, share certain common characteristics, such as traditional hand-made embroideries on the walls, custom headboards, and lamps, impressive wooden ceilings covered with herringbone-patterned reeds, luxurious marble baths, traditional wooden doors and shutters, new and antique design objects, top-quality linens and personal-care bath products. At the same time, all rooms come equipped with such modern comforts as a flat-screen TV, wireless internet service, king or queen-size beds, and a choice of top-of-the-line pillows from Coco-mat.
- The Belvedere terrace, located above the pool area, is the ideal place to enjoy an aperitif. It offers stunning views of the endless blue of the Aegean Sea and surrounding olive groves and vineyards.
Wine & Dine
- “Sterna” fine dining, traditional Greek.
- All-day restaurant “Mouries” features authentic creations and home-cooked treats.
- Taverna “Linos” fish and vegetables, fresh garden salads, and tender oven-roasted meats.
- Pool Bar serves cocktails, fresh fruit juices, and delicious salads.
- Wine cellar as well as the wine list only has Greek wines, contributing to the entire philosophy of the hotel of supporting our community’s and nation’s products.
- Linen day and night
- Rates start at EUR. 290 per night including breakfast and taxes.
- ’Matoula’ Tavern, in a charming traditional setting with the most delicious Greek recipes such as stuffed tomatoes, local pie ‘Haiti’ and slow-cooked meat with Greek pasta followed by refreshing cocktails at ‘Enetiko’ bar with a view to the castle town and the sea. Monemvasia 230 70
- A wonderful place to visit and eat, ‘Diamantis’ fish restaurant right on the water’s edge – and with a priceless view of both sea and mountain. And only 200 meters away lie the ruins of the ancient city of Zarakas (200-150 B.C.).
Worth Getting out of Bed for
- The atmospheric Kinsterna Spa, in combination with the signature treatments offered, made with products from the estate, will revive your senses and provide euphoria. Meanwhile, relaxing in both the adult's and children's pools will certainly offer you moments of relaxation amidst the aromatic orange trees.
The Hotel's Gardens
- The fertile 25-acre estate contains centuries-old olive trees, mainly of the local “Athinolia” variety, numerous citrus trees, and an orange grove producing the famous Monemvasia oranges. Fruit-bearing trees have been a feature of the estate since the early 19th century, and whenever individual trees die they are replaced by traditional native varieties. There are also impressive stands of ancient eucalyptus trees and towering cypresses, vegetable gardens, and beds of flowers and aromatic herbs. Across from the manor house on 5 acres of gently sloping land lie Kinsterna’s private vineyards featuring native Greek varietals such as Kidonitsa, Assyrtiko, Agiorgitiko, and Monemvasia – from which they produce their vintage wines. Kinsterna’s owners have revived the traditional agricultural practices and occupations of the estate, such as harvesting grapes, making olive oil, distilling tsipouro (traditional Greek spirits), baking bread, and producing soap – creating a working model of sustainability that lies at the heart of their goal to make the estate as autonomous and self-sufficient as possible - as it was centuries ago.
- Throughout the year, Kinsterna’s activity menu features a variety of experiences, including tours of the mansion, hiking through the vineyards, horse riding or a donkey ride, cycling on the estate, wine tasting, bread baking at the mansion’s old stone oven, cooking classes, homemade soap-making, private boat tours around the rock of the medieval castle-town and nearby secluded beaches, or fishing.
- Seasonal activities, that are associated with the 25-acre estate, such as the grape harvest or grape crushing to produce the Greek spirit ‘tsipouro’, and the picking of olives to produce extra virgin olive oil.
- The Medieval fortress of Monemvasia, is a gorgeous castle town, an authentic treasure of enormous historical, architectural, cultural, and geographical importance, only a ten-minute drive from the estate.
- Whilst there, and especially during sunrise or sunset, you can visit the Upper Town at the top of the plateau with its 13th Century Byzantine church of St. Sophia (20' easy hike). The view is breathtaking from there.
- Guests can also enjoy a special excursion with the Kinsterna boat and view the medieval fortress as pirates did centuries ago – from the sea.
- A truly magical experience involves visiting the 1,500-square-metre Jurassic-era Cave of Kastania, only the second of its kind in Europe and, by all accounts, one of the most colorful and impressive caves anywhere – with fantastical stalagmites, stalactites, and crystal formations. Traveling by car takes approximately 1 ½ hours.
When to Go
- It can be very hot in July and August. Plan a trip for late summer, early autumn, or spring.
- About an hour away from Kinsterna lies one of Greece's most beautiful beach islands, Elafonissos, considered the crown jewel of beach islands in the region.
- The castle rocks of Monemvasia, the historical town, are very close to the property and are their main attraction.
- Gerakas fjord, you should visit this lovely traditional fishing village set in a unique natural fjord at Europe’s southernmost tip. The landward end of the fjord comprises an important natural wetlands area, ideal for birdwatching and a favorite resting (and wintering) place for migrating birds of all kinds thanks to its shallow, clean waters and abundant food.
How to Get There
- Kalamata airport is 2.5 hrs by car and Athens is 3.30 hours by car.
- We recommend a rental car at the airport. It is the most convenient way to get to the hotel.
- By car: From Athens, follow the national highways to Corinth, then Tripoli, and further to Sparta. From Sparta, follow the signs to Monemvasia.