Palma di Montechiaro, Sicily, Italy
Azienda Agricola Mandranova
Mandranova, farm, and resort, located on the hills of Palma di Montechiaro in the province of Agrigento, not far from the archaeological site of the “Valle dei Templi” and the sea, is a perfect hideaway with a garden of palm trees and African plants. They offer a stay of well-being and tranquillity in the rustic simplicity of the ancient farmhouse and the renovated rooms of an old train station and an old winery. The “Gebbia”, formerly used for agricultural irrigation, has been transformed into a small but beautiful swimming pool where you can cool off from the heat of the summer.Check availability
- 15 rooms & suites with authentic Sicilian decor.
- All rooms are very comfortable, and equipped with heating and air conditioning.
- The little square pool (once an irrigation tank) is perched on a hillside above the farm, with views of the olive trees and fields beyond.
Wine & Dine
- The restaurant is where co-owner Silvia serves up traditional Sicilian dishes such as Torta di Mandorle (almond cake) and Timballo di Ouellette (Sicilian ring pasta with mozzarella and aubergine), all made with fresh-from-the-garden ingredients.
- Tapenade, local cheeses, Sicilian wines, bread, and of course, olive oil can be brought to your room between 9 am and 8 pm.
- Rates start at EUR. 180 per night.
- The Farm: On a hill, a few miles from the sea, there is a green oasis where a selection of native young olive trees grows in our olive grove, as well as some that are several hundred years old. All are individually irrigated. Here they produce extra-virgin olive oil, almonds, and conserves that are expressions of their land, their sun, and their Sicily.
- You can cook with the owner, they can help you to define interesting itineraries and organize your special events, such as a wedding, anniversary, or birthday celebration.
- A visit to their olive grove and olive mill allows you to experience the secrets of world-class extra virgin olive oil production.
- The “Olive Oil Tasting” will make you discover the world of extra virgin oil, and its importance of it.
- They offer daily cookery classes in their main kitchen. It starts at 11:00 a.m. and ends at 1:30 p.m. followed by lunch of what you cooked. They would like a guest to take an active part in the creation of the menu, and you can choose among the Sicilian traditional recipes. Vegetables are picked in the garden and other ingredients find locally, such as the delicious Ricotta cheese, the fresh fish catch in Licata’s bay, and of course their extra-virgin olive oil and almonds. You will leave with unique memories and new recipes which represent their ancient culinary tradition.
Private Villa Rental on Site
- The “Robazza” is an independent villa, surrounded by olive trees, distant 300 meters (a few minutes walking) from the Casale, the main house. This beautiful self-contained villa used to be the estate’s winery. It has been fully restored and modernized in a harmonious blend of old and new. Stone, cement, and plaster are the materials used for the restoration. The house is surrounded by olive trees reflecting in the private pool; from the terrace, you can enjoy an unparalleled view over the olive grove across to the sea. Robazza consists of 2 ensuite double bedrooms and a twin bedroom. It benefits from its private infinity pool and an outdoor sitting and eating area with a built-in charcoal barbecue. It also has a large open-plan living room with a small kitchen with a stove. The property is available for weekly hire, from Saturday to Saturday, with an option of using the facilities of the main house, such as breakfast, dinner, cookery classes, etc.
- Within easy reach you can explore the Roman mosaics at Piazza Armerina’s Villa del Casale (1h 20min) or the archeological sites of Selinunte (1h 45min). Caltagirone (1h 20min) of pottery fame is not far, nor are the beautiful Baroque towns of Ragusa (1h 50min), Modica (2h), and Noto (2h 30min).
- The property is located in a very history-rich part of Sicily, a 20-minute drive away from the world-famous Valley of Temples at Agrigento, 5 minutes from Palma di Montechiaro, where Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa drew inspiration to write his masterpiece “The Leopard”, “Il Gattopardo”.
- The location offers easy access to the southern coast with its stunning beaches of Scale Dei Turchi and Eraclea Minoa.
How to Get There
- The hotel is two and a half hours from the airports of Catania and Palermo.
Join the newsletter
Curated experiences, travel tips, and latest reviews, not to be missed.